Friday, October 10, 2014

A walk with Mama

  Recently, my mama had eye surgery and I spent a few nights with her to take her to the appointments. I love spending time alone with her. Although she has 2 other bedrooms, I always sleep with her. She likes it that way. We always stay up way too late and sleep in if we can. We drink coffee on her front porch in the mornings and sometimes in the evening. It's a time I cherish. These are the moments I never want to forget. I love to watch her put on her makeup and comb her silky, blonde hair. Her hands are just beautiful to me. So soft and gentle. I hope to always remember the precise way she peels potatoes, or how perfectly she polishes her nails.
  My Mama. She has the patience of a gnat, will say what's on her mind, and can be as hard headed as a mule, but she gets sweeter with age. Lately, I can't seem to tell her that I love her enough. I hope she knows how much.
  Right now, as I type this post, she's sleeping in her recliner. Occasionally, she'll look up to see if I've noticed that she's fallen asleep. I just pretend I don't and she's back at it again (smile).
  Yesterday evening we took a walk around the yard, exploring and taking just it all in. It was nice, warm and sunny. We visited my brother's pea garden, and walked around looking at all of the beautiful flowers planted about. She told me she missed me already, and I'm still here. It seriously warms my heart. I pray God keeps her safe and healthy for many years to come, because I still need her. We all still need her! And yesterday, she was clear in telling me "I don't wanna die". We both laughed. Because, she's still young at 72.
She is the best. She isn't perfect. But, she's mine. And I love her with all of my heart. I love you, mama.

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment