Friday, September 7, 2012

This old door.

Everyday for the past year I have driven by a building with a small old barn sitting just behind it. On the steps of this barn was this old pink door. I always thought to myself 'I really want that door'. So today was the day. I pulled into the empty lot and looked around. No one insight. Darnit! I got out of my car and started walking toward the back of another nearby industrial type building. It was very quiet and honestly a bit scary, but I kept walking... all the way up to this old opened garage door. Just inside I saw two older gentleman sitting there chatting....like old friends! I stepped in and one of them asked if he could help me with something. Thank goodness! I explained the old barn and asked if he knew who owned it. His reply "yes, I own it". My heart was happy. I questioned him about the old door and asked him if he would be willing to sell it. After all, it had been sitting basically outside for all this time and through all types of weather. His reply, "sure, its a 50 year old door and the paint is chipping off badly, but you can have it for $10.00". My reply, "Sold"!  Turns out these two older gentleman were really funny and very talkative. I sat and talked with them for about 30 minutes. We chatted about military life, small towns, old fashion chocolate malts, his lawn mower repair business and coca-cola with peanuts. It was a great time! Ok, so back to business. I told him that I would be right back with his money. So, I went to the nearest gas station,  bought 3 coca-colas and 3 packs of peanuts, and got $10.00 in cash. When I returned to the garage and saw the smiles that came over these two gentlemans faces, once they saw what I had for them, I thought 'how priceless'! In the end we were all happy, and at last, I had that old pink door!



No comments:

Post a Comment